Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The dog days are over.

Now that I’m all grown up, I reminisce on the days when I was young, confused and misplaced. I look back to these days and I wish some genius out there would build a time machine and I could travel back into time to give myself pocket money when I needed it the most.
I was never poor but I remember three occasions were I really needed some pocket money, and back in the day two of my friends had birthday parties and I either couldn’t go or I always never had cash to buy them a birthday present to show how I appreciate them for being my friends, especially since I was in purgatory in terms of social standings at school, i got them a sucker. (lame right?)

One of my friends that I mentioned above was never really my friend he was more of an acquaintance then anything, the little jerk invited me to his birthday party, picked up all of my friends from the same area that I lived in and didn’t even bother to picking me up. I mean we all live in the same area; I’m right next door, DUDE!!

Anyway... because I was broke at the time and didn’t really get pocket money, I had no present for the little buga, instead I got him a small exercise book (not the kind that teaches you how to lose weight because he needed that but the book that had light blue lines and a pink/red margin on the side). I wrapped it in an old newspaper I found in the house, went outside and patiently waited for him to come pick me up. And to my surprise he didn’t show up.

My other friend I was talking about was a true friend and to this day we still keep in touch. He had a birthday once and invited me to go with him and his family to the mall to play games and have dinner. I declined at first because I had no money for such, but he insisted and him and I went to the mall played games at the arcade and had dinner. The least I could do was to give him a birthday present right? - Man I wish someone out could build a time machine right now –

My friend had another birthday the following year but fortunately for me there was no birthday party. I felt guilty for not getting him anything the year before so I bought him a fizzy and wrapped it in a newspaper I found around the house. And so I patiently waited until my mom allowed me to go outside and play. When I gave have him his present he was so happy (or at least that’s what I thought) he unwrapped the newspaper hoping to find something magical inside but all he got was a green fizzy.


If you’re out there and planning on engineering a time machine please do it fast I need to redeem my childhood, right now the dog days are over and I can afford to give myself some pocket money, but I need to do this before things change again.

No comments:

Post a Comment